Sharing One Home Can Change Two Lives
Homesharing Hawaiʻi is a project of Hawai‘i Intergenerational Network, a nonprofit with IRS 501(c)(3) status. Our program helps match individuals seeking a home with people who have a home to share. Two or more people share a home for mutual benefit.
A person offers a private bedroom and shared common space in exchange for rent, help around the house or a combination of the two. Each home sharing arrangement is tailored to the unique needs and interests of the people involved.
We are currently serving O‘ahu and may expand statewide in the future.
Benefits Can Include
- Increased health & wellness – ending isolation decreases health risks; companionship creates connections and inspires opportunities to share knowledge and skills across generations.
- Money saved – rent a room for fee, chore services or combination.
- Reduced financial stress and increased security.
- Homesharing Hawaiʻi helps with: Finding home owners & seekers, background checks, introductory interviews, home sharing agreement and follow-up.
Our Screening and Matching Process
Homesharing Hawai‘i finds home owners and seekers who are compatible and interested in sharing a home. We assist with background checks, introductions and follow-up.
Our screening process focuses on your safety and security. We have a client-driven matching process based upon interests, needs and lifestyles of the individuals. We also require all participants to comply with our Well-Being and COVID-19 Precautions Commitments, viewable here: Home Sharers & Board Members, Volunteers & Contractors.
It is up to the participants to decide who they want to live with, and Homesharing Hawai‘i is with you every step of the way.
How Homesharing Hawai‘i Works
- Application – We’ll send you one; call (808) 308-5291 or contact us now at email@example.com.
- Background checks and references – We conduct background checks and up to 4 reference checks on all applicants to help us find safe and compatible potential housemates for you.
- Interview – This gives us a chance to learn more about your specific interests and lifestyle. It also gives us a chance to visit with you in your home if you are seeking someone to move in with you. Family members can participate in the interview if you would like.
- Match search – We start to look for a potential match based on your lifestyle, personal preferences and needs. When we have participants we think might be a fit, we call and tell you about each other. If you both decide you would like to meet, we plan a time for an introductory meeting.
- Match introduction – When potential home sharers have agreed to meet, a Homesharing Hawai‘i staff member facilitates a talk between the prescreened participants chosen by the home sharing applicants. Participants have the opportunity to talk story, ask each other questions and express any concerns about privacy, security, compatibility, etc. This way you see for yourself if the person is a good fit for you.
- Trial match – If both agree to consider a match, there is a 2-week trial period to see if you are compatible. During this time, either person can decide to end the match. The home seeker must keep his/her current housing to have a place to go back to in case it does not work out. The home seeker does not bring all his/her things during the trial period, just a suitcase.
- Match agreement – If both parties agree to a trial match, we can help create an agreement outlining mutual expectations including details such as rent, services, housekeeping, visitors, schedules and notice that would be given to end the match.
- Match follow-up care and ongoing support – Homesharing Hawai‘i staff stays in regular contact with the participants throughout the life of the match and is available if needs change or issues arise.
Homesharing Hawai‘i Non-Discrimination Policy
Homesharing Hawai‘i serves people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, presence of minor children, receipt of public assistance or gender identity. Homesharing Hawai‘i’s services are fully accessible to people with disabilities.
As part of the home sharing application process, all applicants agree to abide by a policy of non-discrimination and be willing to meet people who are different than themselves.